WELCOME TO THE BIG SISTER & LITTLE SISTER PROGRAM: CHARACTER EDUCATION AND MENTORING
WHAT: Each season, we coordinate “sisters” by “pairing up” Pleasanton RAGE teams.
WHEN: Team pairs completed and announced approximately February-May for Competitive Teams and August-September for Recreational Teams. Participation for Comp Teams begins the week after July 4 and for Recreation teams approximately September 1. This program ends after teams’ last games for both Comp and Rec.
Team pairs completed and announced…Participation starts for Comp Teams the week after July 4 and for Recreation teams approximately September 1. The program ends after teams’ last games for both Comp and Rec.
HOW: We create the pairings & notify team manager/coach/rep via email, we list opportunities & organizations for teams and their representatives to contact. We offer the website as a platform to post/ share experiences. We reach out to coaches bi-monthly to encourage their part in mentoring by promoting RAGE character traits listed below.
*To provide a community where teammates, staff, & administration work together promoting positive values, “Big Sister” principles for life
*to foster & practice “cooperative” concepts important to teams
* learn & grow character traits of leaders
*to provide chances for older athletes to reach outside of themselves- showing care and concern for others
*to provide younger athletes the relationship of a “Big Sister”- friendly, caring, sharing, nurturing, and fun
*to give players/teams sharing & communication opportunities of similar circumstances- with luck, blooming into connection that is advantageous for both, and fun
The beauty of the program is that teams and players can do as much as they wish to be with their counterparts. We provide the listing BUT team reps can use the ideas listed here to engage their team and players – or use their own! It’s that easy. Work with other team reps & coaches to coordinate as many times you like throughout the season…Particularly engage players to come up with ideas that THEY WANT TO DO with their “RAGE sisters” and you’ll have them asking when can they do it again! Highly encourage individual player meetings by offering emails, addresses and telephone numbers so they don’t have to ONLY MEET AS A TEAM with their Little or Big Sister- they can do it individually too!
*Big Sister shares scores with her Little Sister after every game/tournament.
*Little Sisters show up at each their Big Sister games, and sit on the bench- learning more about the game.
* Teams commit to work at Open Heart Kitchen, or another, serving the community.
RAGE CHARACTER TRAITS
|• Practicing self-control & displaying commitment to yourself and team
• Setting goals and working toward them. Encouraging others
• Striving for personal and team improvement
|• Telling the truth. Helping the game remain fair
• No cheating, stealing, or half-truths- remain ethical
• Being trustworthy, reliable, and forging fellowship with all players
March – April
|• Using good manners, ethical behavior and positive feelings to guide actions
• Being considerate: honoring the feelings of others. Building teammates confidence
• Dealing peacefully, as best you can, with anger, insults, and disagreements
May – June
|• Being reliable: doing what I say I’ll do and with a good attitude. Appreciating your task in life
• Having the courage to do the right thing & the appreciation for that understanding
• Giving appreciation to those in our lives, our teams, our authority figures and living like this- A HUGE TASK
BELIEVE IN YOURSELF
August – October
|• Always doing my best. Choosing wisely
• Being accountable for my choices. Accepting what comes from those choices
November – December
|• Being kind to myself, others, environment. Care take others
• Helping others in need- even those” unlike” me. Create TEAM unity. Speak up when division occurs
• Be forgiving. Speak it. Show it–even to adults
Any questions or ideas? CONTACT: Mentoring@pleasantonrage.org
Big Sister/ Little Sister Mentor Program Director